Truth About Computer Security Hysteria
[Editor's note: This column will make sense if you've seen Symantec's latest ad campaign. We've only seen it in print up to this point. Let us know if you find a good URL...]|
The continuing saga of the men in yellow
Wednesday, 6 February 2002
- Bill, what is this requisition for 3 parachutes all about???
- Oh yeah, that's for the new security folks.
- The new security folks?? What are you talking about??
- You know, last month we hired this group of guys in yellow suits to keep a watch over our computer assets.
- You mean the guys that were annoying the boss when he tired to use the executive washroom by insisting they accompany him if he had his PDA with him??
- Them's the folks!
- I still don't understand why they need parachutes!
- Well, you see, our offices are located on the 30th floor, and they require parachutes for the guards who stand on the window ledge once they go above 20 stories.
- Did you say "stand on the window ledge"??? Are you joking??
- Hey, look for yourself. See? Two guys, with yellow suits, dark glasses and a gruff pose.
- Right! Next thing you know, we'll have guys wandering around the cafeteria dressed in space suits....
- Nah, we use Sun for our servers....