Truth About Computer Security Hysteria
Your U.S. tax dollars at work
Monday, 6 April 1998
U.S. GOVERNMENT TAX dollars at work:
When I inquired about the matter, Milton Cortes at the Dept. of Agriculture replied saying "I can't answere [sic] your question due to security matters." Chuck Wiggins at Computer Management Sciences, Inc. didn't respond.
- Chuck Wiggins of Computer Management Sciences, Inc. (a consulting firm) recently sent the Win a Holiday & Returned/Unable to Deliver combination virus alert to everyone at his company.
- It made its way to Denise Brooks at the Dept. of Agriculture, who forwarded it to her friends & colleagues.
- Milton Cortes at the Dept. of Agriculture forwarded Denise's email to his friends & colleauges.
- Roberto Cortes at the Dept. of Agriculture forwarded Milton's email to his friends & colleagues.
- Rafael Velez at the Army Corps of Engineers took it upon himself to forward Roberto's email to thousands of co-workers.
- This forced a network administrator at the Army Corps of Engineers to send an email to Rafael's entire recipient list in an effort to contain the hoax. "Proper procedures were not followed before [Velez forwarded] this message. As a result, a lot of confusion has developed within the District..."